Kimberley Maeyaert – Belgium lawyer, yoga teacher, surf instructor, free spirit
Kimberley Maeyaert studied law in Belgium where she graduated Magna Cum Laude in 2013. She speaks 4 languages, Dutch English French and German. She left Belgium in 2019 after a breakdown expecting to return refreshed to her career and accidentally migrated to Australia. She now resides on the south coast of New South Wales where she has 4 jobs, yoga teacher, surf instructor, a role in the local women’s refuge and in hospitality.
She is currently exploring the avenues for admission as a lawyer in Australia
This episode shines a light on the practical running of a criminal law matter in Belgium, how the Australian legal system is very different to the Belgium one, mental health and the law and the obstacles for foreign practitioners to gain admission in Australia.
Kim and I talk about
· The differences between practicing in a civil opposed to a common law country
· How a criminal trial proceeds in Belgium
· Judges as investigators.
· The expectation that you wear robes to court.
· The ethical expectation that as a lawyer you should not post a picture of yourself in those robes or talk to the media.
· How domestic violence is treated differently in the courts in Belgium and the benefits of domestic violence orders
· Why she speaks 4 languages
· The pronounciation of a number of French terms used in the court system and an explanation of their meaning
· Internships of 3 years post graduation and poor pay for those internships
· Long hours and obsession with her work and fitness led to a breakdown.
· How a doctor recommended yoga as part of her recovery.
· Her blog of her travels which can be found at https://kimmyisdenbushin.com/. Half of which is in dutch and half in english
· How she managed to obtain, yoga teaching and surf instructing qualifications and work over the last 2 years.
· The call to go back to practising law and helping people
· The process for gaining admission in Australia
· The cost of further study as an impediment to gaining admission in Australia.
If you want to contact Kimberley, send me an email through the website www.lorettakreet.com.
Website and podcasts moderated and managed by Frances Lockhart
Copyright © 2019 LorettaKreet.com - All Rights Reserved.
Sound editing by Oliver Galke